Friday, October 8, 2010

Cooler Mornings

It's only the first week of October and my mind is already turning to thoughts of indoor projects. YUCK!

The Poison Oak on all hillsides is turning red, the Maples and Ash are changing. We've covered the debris pile so it stays dry for our annual bonfire on Samhain.

My leaf lettuce patch is ready to cut. I'll be bagging it to share with friends and co-workers today.

 It's time to move the little hen and her baby out of the dogs house and into the chicken coop with the other birds.

The Lantana has slowed down with the cooler nights, I'll hate to see it go.

The herb garden has gone wild, it's time to cut it all back and get one last growth of fresh tips before the frosts come.

It's time to collect seeds to overwinter so I'll be ready to start it all again in the early spring. The wood has been cut, chopped and stacked. Sometimes on very cool mornings I can smell the smoke from wood stoves already put to use in our valley. I'm wearing sweatshirts and heavier socks on those mornings I just can't bring myself to start a fire and I refuse to turn up the thermostat for the furnace.

No comments:

Post a Comment